Keystone Pipeline? Constitution Pipeline? Pilgrim Pipeline?
What? Who? When? Yep…. I’m confused too.
The Pilgrim Pipeline Proposal… (from http://stoppilgrimpipeline.com)
- Two parallel pipelines, 178 miles, between Albany, NY and Linden, NJ
- Bakken shale oil will be sent south; refined products (including kerosene) will be sent north.
- Crosses 5 N.J counties, 30 N.J. towns, & environmentally fragile areas/sources for water. See the maps here.
- Much of route to use existing utility rights of way, but additional tracts required.
- Major impact on environment, public health and property values.
- Communities bear all of the burden along the path.
No upside, only negatives. Emergency response. Property values.
- Cements regional reliance on risky fossil fuel and oil infrastructure.
Susceptible to corrosion and leakage problems.
- Transported products dangerous to humans and environment.
Bakken shale oil is highly volatile, involved in many accidents.
- Damaging effects on urban communities and open spaces through which it passes.
Areas include the Hudson Valley, Catskills, NY/NJ Highlands.
- Could see wetlands destroyed, critical habitats leveled and impact to waterways.
Endangered and threatened species affected. More erosion due to construction.
- Leaks threaten the water supply for our homes, businesses, and schools.
- Federal inspection/regulation insufficient.
Just 135 inspectors oversee 2.6 million miles of pipeline. Only 1/5th has been inspected in the past 8 years.
- Shale oil fracking has harmful impact. Contributes to climate change crisis.
Water depletion, toxic air emissions, waste-water, methane release.
WHAT CAN I DO?
- Contact your municipal officials; ask them to adopt resolutions opposing the pipeline. Many towns already have.
- Join with coalition members at municipal hearings to show your support.
- Ask your state legislators to oppose the pipeline project. See the links on the left side of this page.
- Ask PSE&G to deny Pilgrim’s request to use its existing right-of-way. See a sample letter here.
- Subscribe to Pilgrim Pipeline Action Alerts to receive updates in your email.
- Prevent Pilgrim from surveying your land. You are under no legal obligation to grant permission.